I meant to post this recipe yesterday, I’ve been power cooking on the weekends because I have a vacation coming up (!!!), but then I had friends over Saturday night and lots of wine was consumed. So Sunday was spent trying to stop the room from spinning. I really hate wasting a weekend day laying in bed, consuming massive amounts of Gatorade and trying to keep down crackers, and I always say this is the last time I’m drinking like that, but it always seems to happen again.
And hangovers in your 30s, they are seriously no joke. I still felt a twinge of it on Monday morning. Crap – I’m old.
What’s not old is zoodling – at least it’s not old to me. And these delicious zucchini noodles with sun dried tomato cream sauce are the perfect decadent/some-what healthy dish for the week. The sauce has just the right amount of creaminess and fragrant Parmesan cheese, with the intense flavor of sun dried tomatoes.
My favorite part of this dish, it take no time to put together. I love a quick meal, especially during the week, and this one takes less than 60 minutes to make from start to finish.
One key thing to remember when making this dish is to not overcook the zucchini noodles. They should be thrown in at the very last moment and just long enough to be warmed up from the sauce. Zucchini noodles contain lots of moisture, and if you cook them too long, that moisture will escape and will make your sauce super runny.
These are best served after immediately cooking and topped with a little extra Parmesan cheese and basil chiffonade.
- 3-4 medium zucchinis, cut with a spiraler
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup julienned sun dried tomatoes
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6-8 basil leaves, chiffonade
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, thyme and oregano.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer.
- Cook until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Quickly add the zucchini noodles, tossing just to coat.
- Remove from heat, add remaining Parmesean cheese and top with basil chiffonade.
- Serve immediately.