Ok – I know this should totally be a summertime, thirst quenching blog post and that it’s only March and most of the country is frozen over, but I’m just craving this! Oh and it’s 80 degrees in LA and I need a cool, refreshing drink.
I’m seriously craving lemonade every month of the year and could drink it 24/7 – the tartness, the sweetness, and then add in some fresh fruit – swoooooon.
Plus it’s citrus season and they are just begging for me to pick them up and make lemonade – or tangerine lemon shake ups in this case.
I kind of cheated on the shake up part too because I just stuck it all in the blender with a little bit of ice and pulsed for a second or two. That made the ice bite sized and the whole drink so frosty and delicious!
I chose to go the tangerine route because that’s what I had lying around, but you could easily do clementines, tangelos, limes or whatever citrus you can pick up.
These tangerine lemon shake ups were so refreshing, make me feel like I was getting ready for a backyard bbq, and totally quenched my thirst for summertime – that is, until the real summer is here (or there is another hot weekend in LA) and I will be making these and possibly throwing in some vodka. But that can just be between me and you!
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed tangerine (or other citrus) juice
- 8 cups water
- tangelo slices, for garnish
- In a medium size saucepan over medium high heat, mix together sugar and water.
- Heat until all sugar has melted, just before water will boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside until cool.
- In a large pitcher, combine lemon juice, tangerine juice, water and cooled sugar mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- To make shake up, add tangerine lemonade mixture and ice to blender and pulse just to break up ice.
- Garnish with tangerine slices and serve immediately.