Super easy chicken tortilla soup with black beans, jalapeños, fire-roasted tomatoes and tons and tons of chicken. Top it with tortilla chips, avocado and cheese for the perfect bowl of soup – all under 30 minutes!
I have been on a total soup kick and I have no idea why. It’s August and hot (even in LA). What’s worse is my boyfriend and I were just in Austin, hot and humid Austin, Texas, and it’s all I wanted there too!
So what do I do – order it at almost every restaurant in Texas. And then make a big pot of this super easy, can totally be made after a long day of work, chicken tortilla soup as soon as we get back too!
I feel like I’m always saying things are “so easy” to make, but this one really is (I swear!). Can you cook onions, open up a few cans and bring something to a boil? If so, then you can make this soup!
Once it’s finished and your whole house smells amazing, fill your bowl with this delicious soup and top it with some crunchy tortilla chips, fresh cilantro and avocado, and a big heap of cheese. This is my favorite part!
I love how the tortilla chips give your soup that bit of crunch, a spoon of soup with avocado give it that rich, creaminess, cilantro is so fragrant and delicious and cheese- yummy, stringy cheese! (Need I say more?)
The perfect, flavorful soup for when you are just craving a big bowl of something good.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-4 jalapeños (depending on your spiciness preference), diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 limes, juiced plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- tortilla chips, for garnish
- sliced avocado, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add the diced onion and cook for about 4 minutes, until the onions have softened and are starting to become translucent.
- Add the garlic and jalapeños and cook for another two minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes and black beans into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, lower to a simmer and add your chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. Once cooked, removed from the pot and shred.
- Add the shredded chicken back into your soup along with your lime juice, fresh cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with lime wedges, tortilla chips and avocado if desired.