Soup season is here! Even in Los Angeles, where the winters are pretty mild, it’s been cold enough to crave a hot, steamy bowl of soup. This is all I have been wanting lately and this spicy sausage, kale and white bean soup definitely hit the spot.
This soup came about during a normal text conversation with my fiance. The usual, “What do you want to do for dinner?”
It had been cold and I was craving soup but I wanted something with a TON of flavor. More times than not, soup can be a little on the bland side, or at least on the mellow side of the flavor spectrum. But I wanted something hearty, that I could dip a big piece of crusty bread in, and that made my tastebuds perk up.
So I started googling sausage soup, which sort of turned into kale and sausage soup, but so many of these soups had potatoes in them, and while I love potatoes, I do feel they are a little lackluster and mostly there for filler. So I stumbled on a kale and white bean soup and I basically took the two and married them together to get this spicy sausage, kale and white bean soup (see what I did there).
What I love about this soup is that it can easily be made up after work, which I did, or it could be whipped up on a Sunday and used as lunch and possibly dinner for the week to come (which is what I did a week after I made it the first time). This soup really tastes almost better the next day!
It has heat from the spicy sausage, although you could easily use a mild or sweet Italian, the kale gives it a delicious texture and the white beans beef it up and make the stock a little creamier and thicker.
So, if you’re looking to kick up your soup game or just add a new weeknight meal in your rotation, may I recommend this spicy sausage, kale and white bean soup. I’ve fallen in love with it and I’m sure you will too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 15 ounces cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bunches Italian kale, stems removed, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 48 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and brown, stirring to break up the sausage into smaller pieces, about 7-9 minutes.
- Once the sausage has cooked, add the onions and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cannellini beans and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add kale to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale starts to cook down.
- Next, add the chicken stock and simmer the soup for about 45 minutes, if not longer.
- Just before serving, taste the broth and season with salt and pepper if needed. The spicy sausage should give the soup lots of flavor.
- Divide soup among bowls and serve with crusty bread for dipping.