These whole wheat apple cider donuts are soft and cakey, generously tossed in cinnamon and sugar, and baked! Such a delicious fall treat with a few healthy twists!
So, if you haven’t noticed I bought a cake pan a while back. And since then I’ve made these baked cinnamon and sugar donuts, these pumpkin spice latte donuts and now these baked whole wheat apple cider donuts. (I also deep fried some blueberry donuts that have no associate with my donut pan).
You’d think was running a regular donut shop out of my kitchen (I’m not – I kind of wish I was though).
I can’t believe how easy baked donuts are to whip up. I’m talking mix your ingredients together, stick in a donut pan and cook.
Yeah, that’s it. I took the extra step of sprinkling them with cinnamon and sugar – which took another two minutes.
And then you have warm, cakey donuts covered in sweet, sticky sugar and fragrant cinnamon to start your weekend (or weekday) morning.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted and divided
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- To make the donuts, combine the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cider, milk, eggs, vanilla and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Slowly add dry ingredients to this mixture, stirring until blended.
- Fill each donut cup about ¾ full (I used a ziplock bag and snipped one corner with a pair of scissors). Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the donut and comes out clean.
- While donuts are baking, mix together remaining 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a paper bag and melt remaining butter in a shallow bowl.
- When donuts are done, dip in butter covering completely and then shake in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately.