I know I’ve told you strawberries are my favorite fruit, I even told you an elaborate story of how I almost choked to death on the most delicious, juicy strawberry. I’ve incorporated them in so many recipes, so it was only a matter of time before I would stick them into donuts. These donuts – Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts with Strawberry Glaze!
A couple weeks back I was approached to work on a roundup of “pink” recipes for Breast Cancer Awareness month and what better to pink up a recipe than naturally with juicy strawberries.
These donuts are super light and airy, made with buttermilk and sweetened with honey and sugar. So delicious – but my favorite part are the huge chunks of fresh strawberries.
I can’t express how easy it is to make donuts. I bought a donut pan earlier this summer and have since opened up a donut shop in my kitchen – or you would’ve thought so by the mass amounts of these cakey, baked sweets I’ve been churning out. I’ve done cinnamon and sugar, whole wheat apple cider, pumpkin spice latte and now these.
Seriously, just whip up your batter that takes a max of 15 minutes and then bake them (usually anywhere for 8-12 minutes). Once they’ve cooled for just a minute, dunk in a glaze or toss in some cinnamon and sugar and you have delicious, homemade baked donuts!
I especially love these(duh, strawberries), but also because they were so airy, almost like eating strawberry shortcake. For breakfast!
Below is a roundup of all the other bloggers that are participating in this cooking for a cure roundup – all pink recipes, all to bring awareness to breast cancer. Check them out! But first make yourself a batch of Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts and cover them in Strawberry Frosting – you’ll be in heaven!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups strawberries, diced and divided
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly coat a donut pan with cooking spray.
- To make the glaze, combine ½ cup diced strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir and mash with fork, letting sit at room temperature until strawberry juice is produced.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of this strawberry juice mixture to confectioners sugar and mix well. If glaze seems to runny or to thick, add more strawberry juice or confectioners sugar. Set aside.
- For the donuts, combine flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk till combined.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, honey, butter and vanilla stirring well with a whisk.
- With a rubber spatula, slowly add wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring until mixture is just combined. Add 1 cup strawberries and slowly mix in until just combine.
- Pipe mixture into donut pan, filling ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then dip in glaze and return to wire rack.
- Eat immediately!