I have had a crazy sweet tooth lately. Like shove a whole cupcake in your mouth and eat in one bite sweet tooth. It’s not so bad after dinner, when people typically crave something sweet, but right in the middle of my afternoons at work.
I made this puppy chow in an attempt to have a small sweet snack at my desk for those afternoon cravings. My plan was to portion a small amount each morning and keep it in my drawer until necessary. It didn’t happen. I made a huge batch and half went with the boyfriend to his office and the other half has stayed at home. Even in small portions it is too dangerous. I fear the sugar crash that I would inevitably give myself.
Plus it has sprinkles. I am a sucker for sprinkles and of course Target had the sweetest Valentine’s Day sprinkle set and they ended up in the puppy chow. I could eat sprinkles by the handful. Sprinkles + Chocolate = Sugar Coma
I have been indulging in my sugar coma at home.
- 9 cups Rice Chex Mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- assorted sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl measure cereal and set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter until melted.
- Once melted stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food-storage bag.
- Add sprinkles in bag and shake.
- Once sprinkles are evenly distributed throughout mix, add powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake again until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.