Holidays and booze go hand in hand if you ask me. I cannot spend excessive amounts of time with my family unless its accompanied by an adult beverage. I’m not talking about an all-out booze fest- just a glass or two of wine, maybe some champagne, or my go-to margarita (I drink these year round). This year I decided to go a little more festive and kick up a holiday favorite to make spiked apple cider.
You’ll love this cider because it can accompany any get-together, large or small. It can be served warm or at room temperature, and for us lucky enough to spend Christmas by the beach, you can even throw in a ice cube or two. It’s super simple and can be thrown together in a matter of minutes.
Simply add your favorite apple cider or juice (I personally use Trader Joe’s brand apple cider, it’s absolutely delicious), sliced apples and oranges, fresh ginger and cinnamon sticks. Let this bubble until your whole house starts to smell like Christmas, you’ll know what I’m talking about when it happens. Of course you could stop here and serve, but I like to add that extra kick of rum. I also throw a handful or two of cranberries at this point. I don’t like to put them in before this because they will burst and then you’ll be drinking boozy, cranberry apple juice. Not what we want.
Ladle this into some glasses, throw in a cinnamon stick, a slice of apple and orange, and pass out to your friends and family. It’ll soon be part of your family tradition.
- 8 cups apple cider
- 1 apple, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 orange, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups spiced rum
- ⅓ cup fresh cranberries, optional
- In a large pot, combined apple cider, apple slices, orange slices, ginger slices and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum and cranberries if desired.