This week is the week of easy dinner ideas. Really it was by totally accident, and maybe mostly because that’s what I’ve been craving lately – quick dinners that are relatively light and healthy, without a huge mess.
This spicy tequila lime shredded chicken is the end all be all of your boring dinners. You could easily whip together quesadillas, tacos, burritos, stuffed baked potatoes (hint, hint you’ll see these Friday), enchiladas, salads – ok, really anything!
This is also super easy to throw together. Simply toss in your garlic and peppers in a skilled and sauté them up until your house is smelling all delicious and everything. The heat from the peppers might also tickle your nose a little bit. Don’t worry, this means good flavor is on its way.
Next toss in you lime juice, chicken broth, tequila and cilantro and bring to a boil. The alcohol from the tequila will burn off when this is going on, so don’t worry, you’re not going to get the kiddos all sauced up with this chicken, but if you do feel weird about the tequila just add in more chicken broth to make up for it.
Once that comes to a boil, add your chicken breast in and reduce to a simmer. Let those cook about 20 minutes, flipping the chicken at least once. Who wants one sided flavored chicken?!
Once your chicken is cooked throughout (I always check mine with an instant read thermometer, it should read 165 degrees F), pull the chicken out and let it rest on a cutting board. While the chicken is resting, let the sauce continue to cook over low heat – it should be simmering, until the sauce has reduced by about half. Shred the chicken, add it to your delicious spicy tequila lime sauce and give it a toss. You’ll want all those juices to cover your juicy shredded chicken.
Top with a little extra cilantro and serve however you’re feeling. I did mine over some baked sweet potatoes cause that’s what mood I was rocking (I’m sharing this Friday so come back!). I also froze half of what I made and have it ready for when I’m craving some spicy tequila lime chicken quesadillas. I’m serious – this is the perfect weeknight, you can make almost anything with it, chicken.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 tablespoon of sauced reserved
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup tequila (can replace with ½ more chicken broth)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and adobo peppers plus the 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the lime juice, chicken broth, tequila and ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add chicken breast and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, flipping chicken over after 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken once fully cooked and are heated to 165 degrees F when checked with a instant read thermometer.
- Remove chicken breast from pan and set aside to cool.
- Continue to let sauce simmer, stirring in dijon mustard, and cooking until reduced by half.
- While sauce is reducing, shred chicken and add to sauce once ready. Toss to coat.
- Finish with remaining ¼ cup cilantro.
- Serve anyway you like.
* This recipe was adapted from Pinch of Yum