So tomorrow you’re going to be hanging out with your family.
Which means you’re probably going to need something to drink (at least if your family is anything like mine) – and by something I mean a cocktail, a strong cocktail.
I’m going to suggest this smokey bourbon cocktail. It’s a blend of bourbon, homemade spicy serrano pepper simple syrup, bitters, an orange twist and a coffee rock ice cube, which is and extra large ice cube made entirely of drip coffee. The best part – it’s strong!
This is actually my version of a cocktail my boyfriend had last weekend. I had The Pickle, which was basically straight vodka with pickled green beans, purple cauliflower and an olive. Wowwwzzas! His was smokey with a hint of sweetness and got even better as the ice cube melted because it became more and more infused with the coffee.
This isn’t a drink for the faint of heart, definitely one that gets sipped and is perfect as a nightcap or the dessert after a big meal.Oh, and it’ll definitely make your night more fun (and your family more bearable!).
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 1 ounce homemade serrano pepper simple syrup
- 2 dashes of bitters
- 1 coffee ice cube
- orange twist, for garnish
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces drip coffee
- In a cocktail shaker, combine whiskey, serrano pepper simple syrup and bitters. Stir gently and pour in a short cocktail glass that contains a coffee ice cube. Garnish with an orange twist.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the sugar, water and sliced serrano pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Strain pepper and any seeds from the simply syrup.
- Let cool completely before using in a cocktail.
- Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
- Pour drip coffee into ice cube tray and freeze completely. I used this tray for my extra large ice cubes.