I love BBQ. I have loved BBQ as long as I can remember. As a kid I could put down some baby back ribs. I would be covered from cheek to cheek and fingertip to elbow in sauce. I didn’t even care. It was sticky and sweet and that smoky meat was pure bliss. Not much has changed since then. I still think BBQ is down right heavenly.
But now I live in an apartment, with a balcony that has just enough room to stand on, definitely not enough big for all the wicker furniture out there I plan to refinish once we have a backyard, or the four bikes or surf boards.
You get what I’m saying, there is no way we can put a grill out there, which means no smoked meats on the grill for A Happy Food Dance house. Sad. We even have a neighbor with a larger balcony across the way that my boyfriend is positive grills out every night just to spite us.
But wait… all hope is not lost, because I have this amazing slow cooker pulled pork recipe that will make up for lack of said grill. Not only does it cure your need for good bbq, but it is super easy! I mean stick in the slow cooker and come back ten hours later to dinner easy.
You simply rub your pork shoulder with the mix of spices the night before, wrap with plastic wrap and let the refrigerator do the work until the next morning. In the AM, just add some water to your slow cooker and drop that little piggy shoulder in. Set on the low setting for ten hours and head off to work/gym/weekend day drinks and before you know, it dinner is ready. This makes my week nights so easy! Who doesn’t love that?
Once you shred it (which I usually ask the dude to do), you can either add your bbq sauce or leave it plain. Both ways is great! I typically add the bbq sauce to the sandwiches individually, because 1) everyone likes a different amount of sauce and 2) this pork can be re-used for so many different things. I’ve done pork breakfast hash, pulled pork nachos, pork tacos… the list goes on and on.
fire up the grill plug in the slow cooker, you’re about to have some finger licking BBQ going on with these amazing slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches.
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 (6-8 pound) pork shoulder
- MIx all spice rub ingredients together
- Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, but 24 hours is best.
- Unwrap roast and place in slow cooker with ¼ cup water.
- Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours and until meat is fork-tender.
- Transfer roast to cutting board; discard of liquid.
- Pull pork by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks. Discard any fat.
- Return pork to slow cooker and set on low to serve. At this point you can also add your favorite BBQ sauce. I usually add my sauce to each individual sandwich.