Today I’m sharing these super chocolaty, extra gooey, covered in caramel sauce and dusted with sea salt brownies. Sometimes you just need a brownie, and today has been one of those days.
The week after a vacation is always rough. Sure everyone loves to come home to their own bed and their happy, loving dog and to stop picking out clothes from your suitcase, but it is still a little depressing.
In an attempt to cheer myself up I went and bought an ice cream maker. I had wanted one for a while and thought this would for sure cure my “back to real life” blues. What I didn’t know was you had to stick the darn thing in the freezer for 15 hours! Post-vacation buzz kill!
What does help… salted caramel brownies. These babies are so fudgy, with chunks of chocolate chips scattered throughout. My favorite part is the homemade caramel sauce that is generously drizzled over topped and that hint of briny sea salt that provides the perfect complement to all that sweetness.
These are perfect to bring over to summer BBQs and dinner parties because they pack up ever so easily, just add a layer of parchment when stacking and you’re set to go. You could definitely add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream (homemade if you have 15 hours to spare) but I think they are best fresh out of the oven, when they are still a little warm and the chocolate chips inside are nice a gooey.
These babies have definitely cured my post vacation depression. That and I know I have a three day weekend coming up!
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1¾ cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 12 baking dish with parchment paper or butter and flour.
- Melt the butter and 1 cup of the semisweet chocolate chips in a medium bowl set over simmering water. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Once combined, add the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, sift together ½ cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture.
- Toss the remaining ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips in the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour. Add to the chocolate mixture.
- Spread evenly in a prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
- While the brownies are cooking make your caramel.
- Measure out all your ingredients a head of time because the cooking process happens very quickly.
- Put the sugar and water into a medium sauce pan. Stir together over medium-high heat, just until the sugar dissolves.
- Tilt and swirl the pan while the mixture boils and begins to brown. DO NOT USE YOUR SPOON TO STIR. This could cause your caramel to crystalize.
- Once the sugar mixture reaches a golden-yellowish color, remove from the heat.
- Quickly add the butter and swirl into the pan until it combines. You may need to step back as this will will bubble up for a moment.
- Next add the cream and stir with a spoon to combine.
- Add vanilla and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Once cooled enough to handle, drizzle over cooked brownies.
- Sprinkle sea salt over top.