This may be the first Monday I’ve ever been glad to see. This weekend we moved apartments and I am completely and utterly exhausted. Previous to moving day, my weeknights were spent packing up the different rooms of our apartment. I was tired before moving day even came! Luckily my boyfriend and his cousin moved a ton of stuff during the week. It was a lifesaver because I don’t think I could lift or unpack one more box.
As exhausted as I am, I have a quick and easy, yet super delicious Healthy Monday recipe for you. Roasted kale and Brussels sprouts- so simple that I could easily make it in my current state of exhaustion. It’s a perfect side for a recipe that already has a lot going on, and by going on I mean seasonings and spices or even a sauce that you don’t want to compete with. It’s also nice to make when your main dish requires a lot of work and you don’t have extra time to devote to a side.
You simply half your Brussels sprouts and chop up your kale, toss with extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to you liking. Put all of that on a sheet pan and put in a hot oven. Turn once and, Voila!, a super healthy side dish. I have even ate this as my main course when I am the only one home.
There are a couple things to consider before you rush to the kitchen and make this. First, don’t chop your kale too small. It’ll shrink a ton in the oven so if you start with small pieces you will end up with nothing. Some people leave the kale on the stems, some people eat only the leaves. It’s a matter of personal choice, but if you do pull the leaves off the stems you might want to cook the Brussels sprout 10-15 minutes first, then add the kale. The kale will definitely cook faster than the Brussels sprouts.
Lots of green veggies that taste delicious! Happy Monday!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels Sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves.
- Roughly chop kale.
- Mix the kale, Brussels sprouts, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes until crisp on the outside and the Brussels sprouts are tender on the inside.
- Shake the pan from time to time and flip if needed to make sure everything browns evenly.
- Sprinkle with more salt and serve immediately.