I know – yesterday, I’m posting a holiday detox smoothie and today I’m trying to get you liquored up with a roasted cranberry margarita. It’s all about balance, right?!
Nothing says holidays like too many sweets, massive parties with friends and family, and lots-o-booze. I could forgo the cookies easily for a good cocktail, especially if that cocktail is a margarita. I think it’s no secret that margs are my bff. I mean I’ve done this jalapeno cucumber one and a delicious fresh mango version, so why not go festive and put a cranberry spin on one.
Of course would could just toss in some bottled cranberry juice in there. Easy yes, but let’s do something special for the holidays.
You can quickly make a homemade roasted cranberry syrup that is made from real (yes REAL) cranberries. Simply toss the cranberries in some sugar, give them a little dusting of fresh lime zest and throw in the oven. Cook those little guys until they are juicy and bubbly- just oozing with flavor. Yum!
Be careful not to over roast, you’re not trying to make cransins here. Next, simply blend your cranberries with some simple syrup and you have a juicy, roasted cranberry simple syrup. So vibrant in color, a little tart and perfectly sweetened.
All you have left to do is shake it with some fresh lime juice and good tequila, pour into a glass with a fancy sugar rim, and ta daaaa – festive holiday boozy drinks! You can easily make a big batch up and have it set to go if you’re throwing a big shindig or make them individually to be enjoyed at home.
For more delicious holiday berry inspired recipes, check out the links below from a bunch of awesome bloggers!
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2¼ cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups hot water
- zest from one lime
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce cranberry simple syrup
- sugar for rim
- lime wheels, for granish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and rim a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the cranberries, ¼ cup sugar and lime zest. Toss to coat and then spread cranberries on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cranberries start to break down and syrupy.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- On a large food processor or blender combine cranberries, hot water and remaining sugar. Blend until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour mixture into an airtight container. This roasted cranberry simple syrup will stay in the refrigerator for 2 weeks,
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine tequila, lime juice and roasted cranberry simple syrup. Shake vigorously and our into a sugar rimed glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and serve immediately.