Flavorful quinoa, black beans and spicy sausage stuffed in ripe tomatoes and covered with cheese – all baked in the oven. An easy and guilt-free dinner for those weekday nights.
Yeah, so that’s a mouthful! But such a delicious and flavorful mouthful that will make you not mind the super long title.
I have been kind of lazy when it comes to dinner lately. Not order in lazy (at least not yet), but just quick dinners that make good leftovers and can be reheated easily. Like earlier this week I make a super easy chicken tortilla soup. Which I really made Saturday so I could take photos, but we ended up eating it Sunday and Monday. So nice since LA traffic has been extra killer this week.
I also made these Quinoa, Black Bean and Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes over the weekend (again to take pictures) but we have enjoyed them Monday (as an appetizer to our Chicken Tortilla Soup) and Tuesday.
I was going to stuff peppers, but tomatoes are all juicy and ripe this time of year so why not use what’s in season. Simply make your stuffing – I did quinoa, black beans, corn and spicy italian sausage with a little cheese and a little seasoning. You could easily make this meatless and add tofu or just additional vegetables and it would still taste amazing.
Cooking these delicious guys are quick and easy, only 15-20 minutes (I did a few minutes in the broiler too because who doesn’t love golden brown cheese?!?). The quick cook time is nice, especially this time of year, because nothing beats a hot kitchen in August, right?
So delicious, easy to reheat, and I don’t feel bad when I have more than one!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 large ripe tomatoes, tops cut off and inside scooped out
- 1½ cups shredded monterey cheese
- ¼ cup parsley, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combined quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook until all the liquid is gone. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, in a large sauce pan combined onions and canola oil and cook until onions are soft. Add the ground sausage and cook until sausage is brown and cooked completely. Remove from heat and drain excess oil.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, sausage mixture, corn, black beans, cumin, parsley and ½ cup of cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the quinoa mixture into the tomatoes and place into a baking dish. Top each tomato with remaining cheese.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melting and tomatoes look like they are softening a bit, If the cheese doesn't brown completely, you can put the tomatoes under the broiler until cheese is just brown and bubbly.