I never really jumped on the matcha craze (says the person that is now telling you about these matcha green tea latte brownies!). But before these brownies I don’t think I’ve even had a matcha latte. I recently had a matcha Kit Kat, but only because my boss brought them back from Japan. Really…. I’m trying to rack my brain for match experiences, and I think that might be it.
It’s typical that I’m the last one to pick up a trend, I’m really just waiting for it to be trendy not to be trendy. That’ll be my day.
But despite my lack of trendiness, you should really make these brownies. Not only are stunning to look at but they are downright delicious. I seriously just got up to grab another one so that the amazingness of this brownie was fresh in my mind.
These brownies are more cakey they fudgy, but then they are swirled with a matcha green tea latte-cream cheese mixture that puts them out of this world. It’s creamy, tart, and sweet.
I used Trader Joe’s Matcha Green Tea Latte powdered drink mix for my swirl – I wanted to give it that matcha flavor but I also wanted to incorporate a bit of coffee and this seemed like hands down the best way to go. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your neighborhood I suggest you move, because they really are the best grocery store. (Or you could use regular matcha powder – really it’s up to you).
I’ve been trying to up my brownie game and I think these matcha green tea latte brownies are just what I needed. Seriously, bring this to your next potluck/dinner party/get-together – people will for sure be grabbing these.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¼ matcha green tea latte mix*
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pre heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter, flour and line a 13" x 9" baking dish with parchment and set aside.
- For the swirl, combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and blend well then fold in the matcha powder until combined. Set aside.
- For the brownies whisk the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl set over a pot of simmering water, combined the unsweetened chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter. Stir continuously until the mixture is melted and completely smooth.
- Remove bowl from the saucepan and gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, folding with a rubber spatula until batter is completely smooth.
- Transfer the brownie mix to the prepared pan, using a spatula to spread the batter to the corners of the pan and evening out the top.
- With the match mixture, create three lines evenly spaced down the long side of the brownies.
- With the tip of a knife, swirl the brownie and match mixture together,
- Bake until toothpick or wooden skewer is insereted into the center and comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 30 to 40 minutes. If you wait until your toothpick comes out dry the brownies will be overcooked.
- Wait for brownies to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Cut into 12 even brownies and serve.