So Wednesday I showed you an easy shredded chicken recipe that is packed full of flavor, super easy to make, and can basically be thrown into or on top of anything and qualify for dinner. Today, I’m sharing a super fun and quick dinner to make with that spicy tequila lime shredded chicken.
I don’t know what it is about the first of the year, but I have been all about simplifying things: cleaning throughout the week so I don’t have to spend half of my Saturday doing it, organizing my blogging/real world work schedule so one or the other is not a crazy mess, and coming up with more logical weeknight dinners so that I’m not spending two hours in the kitchen prepping/cooking/cleaning during the week.
I’ve also started freezing a lot of my big batch meals, such as my spicy chicken and veggie meatballs or this slow cooker pulled pork, so that I can easily defrost it the day of and heat it when we’re ready for dinner. All of this has really changed my mood, simplified life = happier life.
These southwest loaded sweet potatoes with spicy shredded chicken are almost too easy to be considered a recipe, but sometimes it takes someone shoving an easy idea in your face for you to consider doing it. At least that’s how I work.
For these potatoes I simply cooked some sweet potatoes in the oven until they were done throughout. Then I cut them open at the top, stuffed them with the spicy tequila lime shredded chicken, tomatoes, black beans, corn, cheese and sour cream. You could easily switch this up and do broccoli, shredded chicken and a Monterrey jack cheese sauce or add a bunch of romaine lettuce into your sweet potato, top with shredded chicken and a Caesar dressing.
This is really so versatile and you could definitely adapt it to whatever cuisine you’re feeling: Mexican, Italian, American, Mediterranean… Ok, you get the idea.
The idea here is simplicity, but simplicity without having to sacrifice flavor or creativity. Nothing is worse than taking a cooking shortcut, but completely obliterating flavor or imagination. This is also relatively healthy, and you could make it even more so by swapping some of the cheese or sour cream for homemade salsa.
What’s your easy and quick ideas for dinner? Because I seriously need more of these!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups spicy tequila lime shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream and cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degree F. Pierce each washed sweet potato server times with a fork.
- Place the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack, with a sheet of tin foil on the rack below. (This prevents the sweet potato drippings from making your oven a mess).
- Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Make a slit in the top of each sweet potato and stuff with shredded chicken, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and shredded cheese. Add or eliminate anything you like.
- Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Serve immediately.