Let’s just start by saying I ate the hell out of this key lime pie! Two of my favorite pies are key lime and lemon meringue – clearly I have a thing for citrus. I love that mix of sweet and tart, creamy and crumbly. Plus who ever turned down a big dollop of fresh whipped cream or a mile high meringue – no one…ever.
I don’t want to tell you, and won’t, discuss how many slices of this pie I carved out for myself. Some things are between me and my dog.
This pie was beautifully easy to make – I mean we’re talking a graham cracker crust and a whipped cream topping. No flakey layers of dough to worry about or pie filling to set. And this pie takes a fraction of the baking time of a normal pie. Which is nice, because lately it has been so hot in LA that you sweat just watching TV. And no – we don’t have AC, no one does 🙁
I’ve been grasping at the last couple weeks of summer (well – the LAST week now!) and I think that’s why I’ve been a little absent lately. I also feel like I’ve been in a little of a rut lately, and I’ve sat down a few times to write out a post, and just don’t feel like it. And I have enough work in my life to make this feel like work too, so I just didn’t. I went to the beach, had drinks with friends, did brunch, ate a bunch of acai bowls , and just enjoyed life for a bit.
Sometimes you have to make choices, and life is just too short to not make ones that make you happy.
You know what also makes me happy – key lime pie! And how I really just want to have one more slice of it 🙂
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 1½ cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and three tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake until lightly brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks, key lime juice and zest. Pour into the cooled prepared crust.
- Return pie to oven and bake until the center is set but still quivers, about 15-17 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Once cool, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, combine whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon or pipe over cooled pie and garnish with zest.
- Serve immediately.