This salad is full of things I love. Kale… love. Caesar dressing… love. Cheese… love. Almonds… love. Kale has been the hot super food for a while now and I am completely on board. We go through tons of kale at our house. A lot of the time I am making roasted Brussels sprouts and kale (seriously, like once a week). I do lots of salad with kale too. It taste so fresh and crisp and doesn’t get soggy when tossed with a dressing.
Caesar salads have always been one of my favs. I love that salty flavor with the hint of lemon juice and sharpness of fresh ground pepper. This recipe includes no raw eggs either! I completely love that because using raw eggs came make some people a little uneasy (definitely not me, I can lick the bowl of any batter with the best of them).
Can we talk about anchovies though? I love them! Will even eat them straight out of the can. I know not everyone feels that way, but please don’t let that discourage you from making this recipe. I have made this salad many of times for people that “hate” anchovies, and they are usually the ones scraping their plate at the end of the meal.
This salad makes a great side but there are many nights that I have picked up one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store and added it to the top to make it a main course.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 1 bunch kale, center stalks removed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup toasted almond slices
- Combined the lemon juice, anchovies, garlic and mustard into food processor. Puree until smooth.
- With the machine running, slowly add oil until creamy dressing forms.
- Transfer the dressing into a bowl and toss with kale and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Separate egg white from yolk.
- Place egg white in a course-mesh strainer set over bowl.
- Press egg white through strainer with the back of a spoon.
- Repeat with yolk.
- Add egg, almond slices and remaining cheese to the top of salad.