Can we agree that nothing smells more like summer than burgers on a grill? Even when my neighbors are grilling I will get a wild craving for a juicy burger hot off the grill.
I also love a good burger loaded with flavor. This can come from crunchy toppings, fresh vegetables or even a crazy aioli or sauce – or all of the above and more.
One of my favorite, go-to appetizers or party starters are these stuffed jalapenos. Seriously, anything with cheese and a kick of heat and I’m sold. So why not throw that in the burger?!?
And that’s where I came up with these jalapeno cheddar sliders. It’s basically a jalapeno popper stuffed inside a burger that’s topped with a sriracha sauce and served on a grilled bun.
You simply roll your ground meat (I used beef) into balls a little larger than a golf ball. Then I pressed my thumb in the center to create a pretty good size well, big enough to stuff some cheese and jalapeno in there – and I really stuffed it in there. Is it possible to put too much cheese in anything… yeah, I didn’t think so. Then close it up, or add a little bit more meat on top.
You want to make sure that the cheese and jalapeno are completely covered and safely tucked inside you patty so that they don’t ooze all over your grill causing a) a huge mess and b) and a cheese and jalapeno-less slider.
Cook until done throughout, you want to make sure the cheese is nice and melty and the jalapenos have had a chance to get a little soft. Then dress accordingly (aka lots of sriracha sauce, lettuce and tomato) and enjoy.
Really, nothing beats a juicy burger in the summer. Nothing.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 fresh jalapenos, sliced and quartered
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 small buns, grilled
- lettuce, chopped to slider size
- tomato, sliced and cut into slider size
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-3 teaspoons sriracha, depending on taste
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and roll each patty into a ball a little large than a golf ball.
- With your thumb, create a depression and fill with cheese and slices of jalapeno.
- Cover with meat, adding more if needed, and flatten into a patty about ½" thick.
- Repeat with the remaining meat until no more is remaining.
- Prepare grill and cook burgers until cooked throughout and cheese has begun to melt on the inside (you will probably start to see small pockets of melted cheese or you could test with a meat thermometer to get an exact interior temperature).
- Once the sliders are cooked, remove from grill. Dress grilled buns with sriracha sauce, lettuce and tomato.
- Mix sour cream and lime juice until smooth.
- Add srirach sauce (as much or as little depending on spice preference) and stir until incorporated.