So I’ve been a little MIA lately. Part of it is all that regular holiday stuff that is hectic for anyone this time of year, but another part of it was experiencing some blogger burnout. I guess with Christmas shopping, family visiting, flying to visit family and my real world job, I was just over, well, everything.
Sometimes I feel like Christmas can be such a chore. There are so many expectations and I know I sound like a total grinch, but I was so relieved when it was finally over. I seriously took down our tree and decorations first thing December 26th. And it felt good!
Plus the last thing I was in the mood to do was write posts I didn’t want to, make phony social media updates, and pay attention to my traffic, advertising, etc… I also saw a major dip in traffic in December, and I think it’s because you guys could tell I wasn’t feeling it. I really just needed a break.
This break included lots of wine, treats like this giant skillet cinnamon roll, and hearty dinners. I also just wanted to cook. Not to take pictures or worry about how relevant it would be at the moment. I just wanted to make dinner and enjoy it (with previously mentioned wine).
I think my blogging blues are over, plus the start of a new year always feels so good. I’m excited to get back on track, get a little bit more organized (my eternal New Years resolution), and post things that I’m totally loving and hope you will too.
One of those things is this giant skillet cinnamon roll. Who doesn’t love a cinnamon roll?! But then imagine that thing the size of a cast iron skillet! My favorite part was the outer layer was crunchy and the inside was soft and gooey – swoon! Plus – all of it covered with a sweet, cream cheese frosting.
It was one of those comfort foods I was craving all of December. That kind of sweet treat that you have with a hot latte and it kind of melts away all the demands and stress that is going on all around you.
- 3 cans buttermilk biscuits
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter the bottoms and sides of a cast iron skillet (I used a 9" skillet).
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Remove the biscuits from the package and using a rolling pin, roll each biscuit out until they are thin strips, about ¼" thick.
- Dip each strip into the melted butter and then toss the stip into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Roll the first strip as if you were making a regular cinnamon roll, but for each additional strip, wrap it tightly around the first roll, continuing until you have formed one giant cinnamon roll.
- You will do this until you have used all of the biscuits or the dough has reached the edge of the pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While the cinnamon roll is baking, whisk together cream cheese and 2 tablespoons milk. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar while still whisking. If the frosting seems a little thick, add a little bit more milk.
- When the cinnamon roll is finished, remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- Frost, smothering the cinnamon roll with the cream cheese frosting and serve immediately.