Are you guys still recovering from yesterday? I am- both emotionally and physically. Physically from all the food that was consumed, and emotionally because I am a Broncos fan for life and BOY was that a game!
You know the best way to rebound from all that crap you ate yesterday – with a big skillet of pasta 🙂 I kid – I kid. Maybe I didn’t plan this out the best, sharing a carb laden-recipe the day after you’ve all probably stuffed your face with saucy wings, juicy burgers and enough dip to fill a bathtub.
BUT!, in my defense, I wanted to share a easy, make-at-home, date night dinner that doesn’t take all night to cook, is somewhat healthy (HELLO KALE) but still tastes amazing. Which is perfect, because Valentine’s Day is next Sunday, and sometimes a meal at home is more romantic than anything you could do out on the town.
And this easy kale pesto pasta is all of that – and it’s meatless – or could not be by adding in your favorite protein (I’m thinking these garlic-y shrimp from this recipe), a nice grilled steak or even chicken.
This easy kale pesto pasta is made in just one skillet (plus a food processor) and can be all made in under 60 minutes, I would even bet I could have it done in 45. Serve with a buttery chardonnay and a crusty french baguette (plus a little extra cheese on the side) – and voila, dinner!
So, even if you’re not wanting to make this today, mostly because you need to green smoothie it for a week to make up for all the food crimes that were committed yesterday, then you’ll definitely have this in your wheelhouse for next Sunday.
And if you do make this easy kale pesto pasta, or any other recipes of A Happy Food Dance, be sure to share them and tag with #ahappyfooddance so I can see all the amazing things you are making!
Keep up with A Happy Food Dance:
- 1 medium bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup olive oil
- juice from half a lemon, plus zest
- 1 pound pasta (I used whole wheat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a 6 quart pot of salted water to a boil.
- Blanch kale for about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, rinse with cold water, and wring dry in a clean kitchen towel.
- With water still boiling, add pasta and cook per package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a food processor, add garlic, Parmesan and walnut and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- With motor running, add oil in a steady stream and process to a coarse puree.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper and coarse a few more times.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain, reserving about ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- In pot with drained pasta, add the pesto and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately and top with extra Parmesan cheese.