This post was sponsored by our friends at Hormel who are gearing up for the Big Game with a bunch of delicious, easy recipes made with Hormel chili. This easy chili pie is a perfect addition to any celebration!
I’m pretty excited today! It’s Sunday – which is a good day in general. It’s a pretty uneventful day, there is usually a morning stroll to grab coffee and then I’m working on just one blog recipe and post. But that’s not the reason that I’m excited – I’m excited because the Denver Broncos are in the divisional playoff! Oh – and Peyton Manning will be playing.
I’m not the biggest football fan, but I do follow it, and grew up in a house where we watched the Broncos every single week during football season. So when they get to the playoffs, it’s always a big deal.
What goes better with an exciting game than something delicious to snack on, oh and it also takes under 60 minutes to make!
This easy chili pie is started with sauteed onions mixed in with Hormel’s Chunky Chili with Beans and then finished with a homemade masa topping that crisps up deliciously in the oven.
The masa is made by mixing masa harina, which is a corn flour that is used to make tamales and corn tortillas, salt and cayenne pepper. You think mix in a bit of boil water and then finish with some melted butter and baking soda.
This all goes into the oven and is cooked for about 30 minutes covered and then an additional 10 minutes uncovered so that the crust browns up.
The Hormel Chunky Chili with Beans makes this dish very hearty and the crust adds such a delicious crunch. I top mine with fresh cilantro leaves and some queso fresco, but you could also do sour cream and some grated sharp cheddar cheese.
This is a super easy dish to make up for game day and one that will please a crowd. And I’ll be enjoying it today as the Broncos are beating the Steelers!
Catch up with A Happy Food Dance:
- 1 cup masa harina
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 4 - 15 ounce cans of Hormel Chili
- ¼ cup crumbed queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the masa harina, salt and cayenne pepper, stirring well with a whisk or fork.
- Add the cup of boiling water to the masa mixture, and stir until soft dough forms. Cover until ready to use.
- Heat a 10 inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped onions to pan and cook just until onions begin to brown.
- Add the Hormel Chili and cook just until the chili begins to warm up. Remove from heat.
- Add the butter and baking powder to the masa mixture, and stir until smooth. I used my hands a bit to make it come together.
- Dollop the masa mixture over the chili filling, and spread into an even layer.
- Cover skillet with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crust has lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes,
- Sprinkle queso fresco and cilantro over top and serve.