This post brought to you by The a2 Milk Company™. The content and opinions expressed below are that of A Happy Food Dance.
This year I’ve challenged myself to try different things in the kitchen, whether that be new recipes or new ingredients, I want to try and get out of my comfort zone a bit. With these dark chocolate chip coconut muffins, I’ve done a little of both.
First off, I made these muffins with a2 Milk® . If you’re wondering what a2 Milk® is, let me explain. Originally, all milk contained only the A2 protein. Over time a genetic mutation occurred in cows and a new type of protein developed called A1. This A1 protein causes digestive discomfort and is in all cows’ milk in-stores today, even organic milk.
The a2 Milk Company™ has also partnered with U.S. family dairy farmers in upstate New York and the Midwest to expand the a2™ herd. Their cows naturally produce milk with only the A2 protein. A2 farmers are certified in the humane treatment of animals, their cows are fed a vegetarian diet and never given hormones or rBST, and the milk is antibiotic free and contains no artificial ingredients or additives.
This is what all milk SHOULD be, right?!
So these muffins only have a2 Milk®, but they are also gluten free, which is something I haven’t really done much of in the past. They are made with coconut flour, which is rich in protein and fiber, and the only oil in this recipe is coconut oil.
I’ve also stuffed them full of shredded coconut flakes and chocolate chips. All these delicious ingredients have come together to make one incredible muffin. They’re ultra moist on the inside, with delicious coconut shreds and chunks of chocolate studded throughout.
One of my favorite things about these dark chocolate chip coconut muffins – they are SO filling! They are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast, for when you’re in the rush in the mornings, but really need to eat something to start your day. I made a big batch up on Sunday afternoon and had them throughout the week for when I needed something quick before work or a snack throughout the day. These have been one of the best things I’ve made all year!
If you’d like to learn more about a2 Milk® you can check out their website here. You can also keep up with them on their Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. They’ve also been so kind to share a coupon with my readers: a2 Milk® $1 Off Coupon. For information on where you can find their product, click here: Product Locator.
If you make these, or any recipe from A Happy Food Dance, please tag them with #ahappyfooddance so I can see all the good things you’re making.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup a2 milk®
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt coconut oil.
- Add sugar to coconut oil and mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla and apple cider vinegar, and mix.
- Next add coconut flour, baking soda, salt, and coconut powder. Mix to combine.
- Finish by adding a2 milk, stirring to combine.
- Finally, add in shredded coconut and chocolate chips, mixing just enough to evenly disperse them throughout.
- Place batter in muffin tins, filling about ¾ of the way full. The muffins will puff up just a bit when baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.