I basically lived off of these dark chocolate and sour cream muffins for the past week. I have had a cold since New Year’s Eve – yes, you read that right – NEW YEAR’S EVE! And I really thought it was gone, I was feeling good last weekend, and then Monday rolled around and I felt like I was knocking at death’s door!
I just wanted to lay in bed, curled up with a box of tissues, and binge watching Netflix. Luckily I had these muffins and three gallons of orange juice to sustain myself.
I love a good breakfast muffins, but it really needs to have a few qualities to be considered a GOOD breakfast muffin. First, it has to puff up. No one wants a flat muffin. I like them nice and tall. Second, the inside has to be moist and tender, but I like a little more texture on the outside. These muffins have all of that plus the slight tartness of sour cream mixed into the batter.
I used Guittard’s extra dark chocolate chips. I love Guittard’s chips – no matter what type of chocolate it is – they are made of great quality chocolate and you can really taste the difference. No one paid me to say this – just my preference. The extra dark chocolate has that familiar bitter quality that dark chocolate has, but I think it goes really well with the sweetness from the muffin. You can add whatever chips you like to these muffins – white chocolate would even taste great!
One of my favorite things about these dark chocolate and sour cream muffins – they keep great. I kept mine in an airtight bag on the counter and just grabbed one (ok – sometimes two) and I wanted. They lasted for over a week!
Catch up with A Happy Food Dance:
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 - 8 ounce container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat the egg until frothy.. Slowly add the sugar and then the butter and beat until a pale yellow. About 1 minute.
- Beat the sour cream and vanilla into the mixture until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter, beating on low speed until almost mixed throughout.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add in the chocolate chips. Finish mixing with a spatula until the chocolate chips are incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the muffin and it comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool.