This zucchini bread twists includes whole wheat flour and medium ground cornmeal which is all topped with a creamy cream cheese glaze – sweet, delicious and the most amazing texture.
I have been eating this bread like crazy – like justifying it for breakfast and dinner, cutting slices as thick as a book, obsessed. I made two loaves and gave one to my boyfriend to take to the office, which I now totally regret.
Most of the time I try to give away a good portion of the sweet treats that I make, I for sure don’t need to eat twenty cupcakes (although there are some days I really want to). But sometimes you make something that’s just so good you don’t want to share.
This cornmeal zucchini bread is so flavorful, with such a unique texture and then top that with a cream cheese glaze – HEEEAVAN!
I love a good zucchini bread – seriously I made “muffins” and topped it with coconut whipped cream and convinced myself that they weren’t a cupcake. (They aren’t!)
For this bread I used a mixture of AP flour, whole wheat flour and medium ground cornmeal. I like the medium grind on the cornmeal because it definitely gives it an awesome texture.
I also grated the zucchini with a large grater, this reduces the amount of water lost when grating and adds both color and texture to your bread.
Top all of that off with a delicious cream cheese glaze that is sweet but with a bit of tang – oh.mah.gawd! Seriously!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, cooking until butter begins to brown and has a nutty aroma. Scrape butter into a medium bowl and set aside allowing to cool.
- Once cool, add eggs, buttermilk and zucchini.
- Sift both flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. Whisk in the cornmeal.
- Add the zucchini mixture to the cornmeal mixture, stirring just to combine.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake bread until golden brown and a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. About 60 to 75 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the bread is cooking, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar. Slowly add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired glaze consistency is reached.
- To make glaze more easy to pour, you can microwave for 10-15 seconds for a smoother and runnier consistency.