Ok, I know – I have been all over the place with my posts. One day it’s popsicles because it’s 100 degrees here and the next I’m posting chicken pot pie because I’m a weirdo and I’m craving it even though I have fans running like crazy and am still wearing shorts.
Don’t be surprised – today is no less weird. You should know better than to expect normal, seasonal posts from me. Most of the time I just make what I’m craving and what sounds good to me at the moment, and while that might be popsicles in October or hot chocolate in July, you’ll just have to bear with me.
Today I start a brand new job – I’ve had the past week off work and it has been ahhh-mazing! I haven’t had an entire week off work in over two years! Usually I am taking a long weekend here or there, most likely traveling to see family or friends, with no real time to hang at home.
This week has been the opposite and it was so therapeutic. I hung at the beach, worked on my blog, watched daytime television, actually picked up a book I started months ago (Gone Girl – so good, I really am curious to see how it ends!) and spent tons of quality time with my dog. I did a few productive things, like doctor’s appointments, organizing and cleaning my apartment, finding my birth certificate (I am horrible and misplacing things).
I also had a dreaded dentist appointment where I was having a tooth pulled and a bone graft done. The actually procedure wasn’t that painful, I think the build up that I had created in my mind was the worse part, but I’ve been in a little pain since. So my diet has consisted of milkshakes, mashed potatoes and smoothies. Not the most fun or flavorful foods (I have been craving spicy) but it’s the least painful. Hence the hot chocolate.
I wanted to make a super decadent, creamy and delicious hot chocolate and decided that was going to happen by using coconut milk – both in the hot chocolate and for the whipped cream. I made these zucchini muffins and topped them with coconut whip and it was TO.DIE.FOR! Since then I’ve wanted to use coconut whipped cream more and this is the first chance I got (or the first I remembered) – coconut hot chocolate topped with coconut whipped cream!
All I could think of while drinking this was, Kahlua would be delicious in here! Next time!
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans of full fat coconut milk (One that has been refrigerated overnight)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 6-ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup shaved coconut, toasted
- For the whipped cream, remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator, turn upside down and open. Remove the firm waxy layer, as soon as you reach the milk stop. Don't include anything except for the solid cream.
- Place the cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and with the whisk attachment, beat on high speed for three to five minutes. Whip until it becomes fluffy and white, with soft peaks.
- Add powdered sugar and beat to incorporate. Set aside until to top hot chocolate.
- For the hot chocolate, combine the unrefrigerated coconut milk, heavy cream, regular milk, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, vanilla and salt together in a large saucepan and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture has heated.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into mugs and top it with the whipped coconut and sprinkle shaved coconut over top.
- Serve immediately.
- *** To booze this baby up, add a 2 ounces coffee liqueur, whiskey, or irish cream to each cup before ladling the hot chocolate in. Enjoy even more!