I am in love with those Momma Chia drinks that you can find in the grocery store. I usually snag one while I’m heading to the check out. But if you go to the grocery store three to four times a week (like me) that habit can start to become a little costly. So I did a little research and found that they are super easy to make and it’s a whole lot more cost effective if you make it at home, plus I always prefer homemade because I know what is going in to it.
I mix up a big batch of chia seeds and water in a pitcher Sunday night before my week starts. Then, as I’m rushing out the door because I’ve hit snooze way too many times or have become entranced with whatever is on the Today Show, I mix it with my favorite juice and run out the door. Super quick breakfast that is super good for you.
You maybe asking what in the world is a chia seed? It’s an edible seed that comes from a desert plant. They are an unprocessed whole-grain food that can easily be absorbed by the body. They date back to the Mayan and Aztec cultures and were used as an energy booster, which makes sense since chia translates to “strength”.
And what makes these little seeds healthy? In two tablespoons you are getting 4 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber plus vitamin and minerals. I mix mine with a juice that is rich in antioxidants, for this one I used 100 percent pomegranate juice. So you’re not only getting the chia seed benefits but the benefits from the juice you choose. This drink is super filling and holds me over until lunch, but my favorite part (besides being so healthy) is the crazy texture of the seeds!
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup juice of your choice
- lemon or lime wedge, optional
- Mix the warm water and chia seeds in a tall glass. Still well until the chia seeds are evenly dispersed and start to swell.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator over night.
- The next day your chia seeds should be enlarged in size and gelatinous.
- Mix juice of choice with chia seed mixture.
- You can also squeeze a wedge of lemon or lime once the juice has been stirred.