These little sweet heart brownies would be the perfect sweet for your sweetheart. Plus – who doesn’t love brownies?! They always make my day! These cheesecake brownie hearts have the delicious richness of chocolate and the tartness of cheesecake which makes for the perfect sweet combo.
These brownies aren’t your typical cheesecake brownies thought. Usually you swirl the cream cheese right into the batter and then bake both. But these are cooked like regular brownies and then a tiny heart is cut out and no bake cream cheese filling is poured in.
Yes! So you’re basically eating a cheesecake that is surrounded by a brownie – does life get any better?!
These take a little thinking ahead of time – mostly because you’ll have to completely let the brownie cool before cutting out the heart shape. And then after pouring in your cheesecake filling, you’ll need to refrigerate them until the cheesecake has set. But believe me it’s all worth it and the worst part is just the waiting game.
Plus, you can eat the little hearts that you cut out of the middle while you’re waiting!
One quick tip – because there is no bottom on the brownie where you pour the cheesecake filling, to keep your fingers from getting sticky, I cut out little parchment squares to place on the bottom. This was also nice when packing them up.
Seriously these cheesecake brownie hearts are one of the sweetest little desserts!
- 4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 14-ounce can (1¼ cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 12x18x1-inch baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, melt together butter and chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- Once melted, allow to cool slightly and stir in unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Slowly stir in warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to the cooled flour mixture.
- Pour mixture onto baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Rap the baking sheet against the oven rack to force out air and then baking an additional 15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, refrigerate overnight if time allows.
- In a stand mixer, beat together cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Beat in the condensed milk, a little at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Once brownies have cooled, cut them into 20 equal size squares. And place on a parchment lined baking sheet. I used two baking sheets as to not to crowd the brownies.
- For each square, use a heart shape cookie cutter that will fit in the center of the brownie and press in the center of the brownie.
- Remove middle heart shaped brownie and then pour your cheesecake filling into the center.
- Repeat this for each brownie. Once all the brownies have been cut and filled, cover the baking sheet and refrigerate for 60 minutes or until filling has set.
- Serve immediately or package into airtight containers and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- When I packaged my brownies, I put a small parchment square on the bottom of each for easy transport.