Don’t make these! I know, I know… I’m always telling you how delicious and incredible things are and that you should definitely make them, but these browned butter caramel swirled blondies are different. Trust me, don’t make them.
It’s a downward spiral and a quick one at that. One moment you are just cutting off a small corner, you know… just to taste. Then all of a sudden you are in your sweats (you know, the ones where the elastic has worn out), watching questionable television, with the pan in your lap and a fork in your hand. There’s crumbs everywhere and you feel the shame, but it doesn’t matter.
These brownies are THAT good! I mean we’re not only talking about delicious, nutty, fragrant browned butter, which I’m pretty sure is what Greek gods are made of, but also… ALSO!… caramel swirled right on through the ENTIRE batter. Not just drizzled on the top or layered in the middle, but swirled, twirled, topped and oozing throughout.
I’ve been on a major brownie kick and this past weekend I thought, hey – what about a blondie. Typically you get your walnut blondie with maybe some chocolate chips inside, but I wanted something that would WOW! you. Something that all other blondies would be held against from here until eternity.
Then I found myself deep in a browned butter, caramel spiral. And I knew I was on to something amazing.
And I usually share whatever treats I’ve made for the blog, especially when I’m having friends over, but these ones disappeared far into the dark corners of the refrigerator. These are all mine.
So if all of the above does not scare you and you are ready to swirl into a caramel, browned butter bliss – then ignore my warnings and make these. But if you find yourself in your house with the lights off, sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, digging into these with you bare hands… don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extra
- 1¾ dark brown sugar
- 1 - 10 ounce bag of wrapped caramels
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- To brown the butter, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the both sticks of butter, swirling it as it melts. After about 3-4 minutes, it will smell nutty and brown bits will start to drop to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the browned butter in a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In another small saucepan, combine the evaporated milk and caramels and set over medium heat. Stir the mixture frequently, until all of the caramel has melted. Reduce heat to low.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
- Add the brown sugar to the cooled butter and mix with a spoon for about a minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla mixture to the sugar mixture, and whisk together until shiny, about 20 seconds.
- Next, add the flour mixture and whisk together until there is no visible flour.
- Transfer half of the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the caramel sauce to the top of the cooked blondies, and then top with the remaining batter.
- Swirl the top two layers together.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and moist crumbs are left.
- remove the baking dish from the oven, and let cool at room temperature.
- Cut blondies once cooled.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.