Yes! You saw that right – this is a blueberry and SWEET CORN crumble! I gave a little hint on Instagram yesterday and was really curious if anyone was going to guess what I was making.
This had been in my brain for a while. You know how ideas have their way of doing that, creeping into your brain space and kind of living there for a while. I was waiting for the perfect moment, and for blueberries and corn to be in season, and that time has finally come.
Now you might think this sounds a little weird, crazy even, and I was also worried about that too. So I made it… tasted it… and really feel in love. But my palette is a little… unique, so I thought I better do a blind tasting.
So I brought this over to my friend’s house for the 4th of July and just said I made a blueberry cobbler with a twist and if everyone would try it and tell me what they thought. That’s it… no further detail.
One friend was like, “oh- the almonds, they’re so crunchy!” but that wasn’t what I was looking for. And then one said, “I think I SEE what the twist is.” And then my cover was blown. But I was surprised that the corn flavor did jump out to everyone like it did me. I guess I was kind of expecting it.
Once everyone realized what was going on, the commented how it sort of tasted like a dessert tamale (umm… one of my favs!) and that the texture of the corn was a nice complement to the tender, juicy blueberries. Plus you add in the crunchy oatmeal/brown sugar/almond crust and it really is just a super delicious, uber summer-y dessert with a fun twist!
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn kernels
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cups dark brown sugar
- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the filling ingredients and toss to coat everything with the sugar/cornstarch mix.
- Pour into your baking dish (I used a large souffle dish, but you could use a 8x8-inch square dish).
- In the bowl of the food processor, add the almonds, butter, cinnamon sugar, flour and salt. Pulse 2-3 times, just to break down the almonds and mix everything together.
- Add the rolled oats and pulse an additional 2-3 times.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of your blueberry corn filling.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the oats and pecan crumble turn golden brown and the blueberry mixture starts to bubble up.
- If you crumble starts to brown too much, you can loosely tent with a piece of foil.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or nothing! It's good all the ways!